Anyone who says learning isn't fun has never experienced Liftlock and the River Boat Educational Cruises!!!
We have developed an exciting, school board approved outing which can be combined with a visit to other local attractions to make an exceptional day trip for any group of children. All educational cruises depart from our dock located at 92 George Street North, Peterborough, Ontario. We are located beside the Holiday Inn, downtown Peterborough. We travel across Little Lake into the main channel of the waterway, and into Lock 20, a conventional lock. Then, into the world famous Peterborough Hydraulic Liftlock.
The Island Princess III has an enclosed lower deck and a canopied upper deck to accommodate all weather conditions. We are certified annually by the Canadian Coast Guard, and we carry all the recommended safety and navigation equipment. Our crew is trained in marine emergency duties and our Captains have CPR and First Aid Certificates. There are washrooms and snack bar facilities on board, and we are wheelchair friendly.
History & Geography
· Lifestyles of pioneer settlers
· Trent-Severn Waterway ancient portage route
· Samuel De Champlain, First white man to see the Trent-Severn Waterway
· Early Settlers (Peter Robinson), the conditions they fled and the hardship they encountered
· The logging industry
· Great Lakes and the Trent-Severn Waterway. It's importance for Trade and Transportation
· The Ice Age
· Formation of the Canadian Shield and its characteristics
· Ancient river system formed by melting glacial ice
· The waterway as a flood control and water conservation system
· Hydro electric power. Ontario's natural resource
· Aboriginal people in Upper Canada
· Migration and settlements
· The formation of the Algonquian and Iroquois Nations and their contribution to Upper Canada
· Peaceful coexistence and trade
· Contact with the white man and its consequences
· The fur trade and the establishment of the Hudson Bay Company
· Native wars and treaties
· Our relationship with nature
· The water cycle
· Acid rain
· Ozone layer
· Global warming
· What we can do to prevent pollution
· Gears and Cranks
· Principles of Hydraulics
We offer Educational Cruises Monday – Friday from May Long weekend to Thanksgiving weekend in October.
Please call the office at 705-742-9912 and or email us – firstname.lastname@example.org for availability and cruise times.